Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hama

I made this video after my trip to Hama in January 2011, halfway through my nine-month stay in Syria. I intended to post it while I was still in Syria (which is why my narration is so oblique.) I never got around to it. Now that the Syrian army is attacking Hama once more, I thought some of you might want to see this beautiful city. The people of Hama are, without exaggeration, the friendliest people I have ever met. In three days, I had coffee or tea with seven groups of complete strangers, and probably turned down twice as many invitations. They sure could use a break. God bless them.



(Everything about this video/slideshow is highly amateur. Please have mercy on it.)

2 comments:

  1. Does Hama have lots of Crusader ruins? Some of it reminded me of the Krak.

    Calamity Song!

    I love and miss you, man.

    PS: I loved your dancing.

    PPS: Who is the girl? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I don't think so. Mostly Arab and some Byzantine. It's very close to the Krak, though, so the stone color is very similar.

    I love and miss you too. Have you started med school for the fall yet?

    PS: Thanks.

    PPS: Her name is Djana. She's Russian, and I met her at the hostel where I stayed in Hama. We were travel buddies for a while. WHY?

    ReplyDelete