Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tomatoes and Free Time

My boys are here.  The other day, I was eating lunch with all twenty-three of them in the dining hall.  I think I mentioned before that I'm not yet comfortable with Syrian culture?  Well.  One of the boys asks me, "Beddak bendora?" Do you want a tomato?  Yes, I would.  But I don't have a knife to cut it with.  Before I can expalin this, he hands me one, and takes one for himself, and bites into it like an apple.  When in Rome, I think to myself, and start to eat my tomato the same way.

Father Mayas walks along the table monitoring el-shebaab (the young men.) He takes one look at me, throws me a knife and says, "Joel, don't eat like you're from Saudi Arabia."

That's all for now.  I am insanely busy this week and next week, and it's hard to make it to an internet cafe.  If you've sent me an e-mail, I really appreciate it, and will respond when I get the chance.  Just not now.  Sorry about the inconvenience.

Grace and peace,
Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment